Classics, passion for the past

1931 Riley Nine Special Brooklands

€ 97800

Body Convertible
Odometer
Fuel type Petrol
Engine 1087 cc
Transmission Manual
Exterior Color Green
Interior Color Green
Upholstery Leather
Steering Rhd
VIN 6013096
Transformed in 1947 by Teddy Burgess with a 4-seater special Tourer body (with the radiator of a Singer Le Mans) to allow him to adapt to the sporting regulations of the time, in 1949 he participated in the “Daily Express 1000 Miles Round Britain Tour” organized by the Motor Cycling Club with arriving in Torquay and winning the prize for the most attractive car as can be read in the newspapers of the time.



In an article published in “Classic & Sportcar” of January 1986, the last owner R.B. Rands grandson of Teddy Burgess who owned it since 1960, explains that he deprived himself of this car due to the introduction of the MOT test and due to lack of garage at the price of only 10 pounds.



At the time of the sale the car was still configured as a Tourer and he says that in the family it was called “The Bluebird”.

In fact, in the annotation of the Log-book before the green color it was declared blue.

From 1970 to 1995 the car belonged to Geoff Winn Bryson who disassembled the bodywork adopted for the “1000 Miles Race” and rebuilt it, adapting it to racing on the circuit.



To adhere to Brooklands specifications, the chassis was shortened by 10.5 inches and the bodywork installed was a lightened 2-seater sport with a fabric-covered wooden structure.



During the period in which it was used for circuit racing, it underwent numerous mechanical improvements.



Particularly in the mid-1980s it was prepared by the specialist Nev Farquar by performing these implementations:

High compression racing cylinder head
High compression omega pistons
Special Camshafts
Lightened distribution gears
Lightened flywheel
Larger oil pan
Oversized oil pump
Brooklands water pump
Shaft and connecting rods
Bushings
Hydraulic braking system
5: 1 straight cut differential
The car was used continuously for circuit races until Goeffrey Winn Brison in 1995 sold it to the last owner who imported it to Italy.

In 1997 the new owner decided to equip the car with a less performing engine but more usable on the road, so he sent it to England by the Specialist Barrie Gillies who completely restored it.

The invoice for the work performed is available.

In 2002 the FIVA certification was issued.

Since being in Italy the car has participated in a large number of events including the 1000MIGLIA, 2 editions of the “Ennstal Classic”, 4 editions of the “Coppa dei due mari”, the “Bologna-Raticosa”, the “Stormy wheater” in winter, Castell’Arquato-Vernasca just to name a few.

Extensive historical documentation from over 50 years of racing is available which cannot be illustrated on the site but which will be supplied with the car.