Classics, passion for the past

1955 Bentley R-Type Automatic Sports Saloon B188ZY

£ 39500

Body Saloon
Odometer miles
Fuel type Petrol
Transmission Automatic
Exterior Color Red
Interior Color Beige
Upholstery Leather
VIN B188ZY
A smart, sound and correct example, very nicely finished in an attractive shade of deep red with appealing, original beige leather and excellent, recent headlining and carpets. Included in the file accompanying the car are various maintenance invoices, including evidence of a comprehensive engine overhaul in 2004, carried out by Norman Woolfenden, who we hold in high regard. Since then, the car has only covered about 5,000 miles, and is consequently running very well. The underside, and indeed the whole car, is good and sound, and the car has a complete stainless steel exhaust system fitted. The distributor has been converted to electronic ignition and a modern radio has been fitted, but the necessary parts to convert back to original are included with the car, along with some other spares, including a pair of inertia reel seat belts. Complete with a lovely, correct set of tools, small & large, and the car is correct and complete in all respects. Fitted with a new set of radial tyres (not shown in all of the photos), which suit the car very well, both from an aesthetic and a practical point of view, and is offered serviced, prepared and newly MoT tested, ready to go.

Chassis No. B188ZY Reg. No. OEW 100

Snippets: Hens, Bottles, Books & Ducks
B188ZY was first registered with H. C. King of Huckles Farm Eggs of Redhall, Roestock – in November 1908 a speed limit of just 10miles per hour was placed on the road from Roestock Lane to its junction with Redhall Farm! The Gaussan family estate (from 1786) included Redhall Farm but as the last Gaussan male heir died in 1909 the family had to sell off sections of the estate and in 1914 the first parcel of land of some 596acres comprising of Redhall, Parsonage & Tollgate Farm was sold. The chassis cards show that by 1963 the R-Type was with J G Thomson Ltd of Edinburgh – the origins of the company can be traced back to 1709 – in 1884 this wine & spirit merchant acquired Glen Garioch Distillery & in 1890 they purchased the shippers Scott & Allan whose clippers delivered wine, brandy & cork into Leith. During the 1970s Thomson’s suffered a downturn in their fortune and B188ZY was sold to Harold Hale in Ashbourne, he, it would appear was the director of “The Book Shop” in Ashbourne and a member of the international Johnson Society (named after Samuel Johnson 1709/84). Within a few years B188ZY had relocated to Trelough House in Wormbridge which during the 1990s was where Barry Clark bred the “Trelough Ducks”!