Classics, passion for the past

1935 Rolls-Royce 20-25 Rippon Limousine GFE38

£ 27500

Body Limousine
Odometer miles
Fuel type LPG
Transmission Manual
Exterior Color Maroon
Interior Color Other
Upholstery Leather and cloth
Steering Rhd
VIN GFE38
Something of a project, but essentially a good, substantial, well constructed limousine, which has been in storage for something like 30 years. Kept in the dry and as a result the car has not suffered unduly, but it does need a certain amount of re-commissioning and improvement. Having said all of that, the engine runs well and sounds good, the car drives well and is offered newly MoT tested, making it an ideal use & improve proposition. Nice touches include 'trouser crease' wings, flared door bases, typical of Rippon, P100 headlights, Lucas 'Gothic' tail lights, quarter bumpers to the rear, a built in, fold out luggage rack and glass draught excluding vents to the window tops. Inside, although shabby generally, there is some nice woodwork, and unusually for a limousine, a sunroof in the front compartment, albeit currently sealed closed and needing bringing back into use. The structure seems to be very good, with doors closing with a satisfying 'click'. Overall, we feel that the car has a healthy future ahead of it, and will be a very rewarding refurbishment. Priced realistically, and something of a bargain!

Chassis No. GFE38 Reg. No. CPY 734

Snippets: St Sepulchre Gate
The 1st owner of GFE38 was William Danby Leadley of Bessacarr, Doncaster his profession was that of a house builder - in 1920 in order to build a housing estate in the Doncaster area (“rapidly” according to the papers) the council split the contact between Messrs Leadley & two other local companies. During the 1920s William’s firm was known as Messrs Leadley, Firth & Whittington - their various contracts included working on the Grand Stand at Doncaster Racecourse, a contract for 70 houses which was awarded by Swinton Urban Council and the Hall in Mexborough. By 1929 the company was placed in Voluntary Liquidation and William Leadley continued trading on his own as W D Leadley (Askern) Ltd. In 1927 W. D. Leadley, being a Churchwarden of St Peter’s Church in Askern, offered to defray half of the cost of new Sunday schools provided the Church Official will raise the remainder. From 1945 until 1961 Chassis card information shows that GFE38 was with Horace Rodney Hather of Doncaster. In 1915 he was summoned to court for having an acetylene gas lamp on his motorcycle and in 1919 he was fined £5.00 for driving a motor-car at dangerous speeds! He later developed a business as taxi cab, garage and funeral driver. We have recently been contacted by a great-nephew of Horace Hather who told us that his father (Horace's nephew) instructed the builders to ensure that the access road to the house was "wide enough for a Rolls-Royce”! Was this GFE38? The connection between Leadley and Hather is that Leadley’s accountant was located at St. Sepulchre Gate in Doncaster and the address of Hather’s garage was Angel Garage, St. Sepulchre Gate.