Classics, passion for the past

1936 Rolls-Royce 25-30 Hooper Limousine GRM60

£ 36500

Body Limousine
Odometer miles
Fuel type Petrol
Transmission Manual
Exterior Color Ivory
Interior Color Black
Upholstery Leather and cloth

A sound, spacious and practical example in good, sound condition throughout. The car was with one owner from 1986 until 2016, and has been well cared for, having been fitted with a new cylinder head, re-cored radiator and more besides. As a result of the care and attention that it has received, the car runs very sweetly and drives nicely, with a smooth, powerful engine, and performs well. Smartly painted in black & ivory, nice bright work, with excellent (recent) black leather to the front and beige cloth to the rear, with original black leather fold-down occasional seats. The structure is excellent, the doors closing with a satisfying ‘clunk’ and fitting very nicely, and being Hooper, certain items, including the windscreen and fittings are beautifully made in stainless steel. P100 headlights, long trumpet horns, a full set of 'Ace' wheel discs, an impressive set of correct, original tools, and (unusually) a sliding sunroof to the front compartment complete the picture. A lovely car, ready to go and offered newly MoT tested.

Chassis No. GRM60 Reg. No. PEU 683

Snippets: Camp Coffee & Builders
GRM60 was ordered by James Davidson Paterson a scion of the Paterson manufacturing company – they started off producing vinegar, Tangerine Sauce and Eureka Chutney! James’s father Campbell joined the company in 1868 and legend has it that in 1885 Campbell Paterson was asked by some Gordon Highlanders if Patersons could create a drink that was easy for brewing on the battle field in India – the result was Camp Coffee – named after “Camp”bell himself. James (one of 10 children) and a younger brother Campbell Jnr were keen yachtsmen – between them they commissioned Mylne & Fife to design elegant racing yachts including – Kelpie(1903), Vanda (1934), Mariella (1939) & Madrigal (the last yacht Fife designed) - in 1914 Kelpie was used to smuggle guns into Ireland!. In 1947 GRM60 was acquired by Gregor Grant (1913/1994) of Kilmarnock, in 1929 Gregor moved from Nethy Bridge to Kilmarnock & in 1935, aged just 24 he took over the construction firm of John Moulds Ltd. Gregor later owned the Mar Lodge Hotel in Troon, a magnificent building dating back to the later 1800s. Gregor Grant was also a Free Mason and was a member of the Mother Kilwinning Lodge (Nr 0) – the existence of which can be traced as dating back to the early 12th Century.