Classics, passion for the past

1949 Bentley Mark-VI Sports Saloon B423DV

£ 36500

Body Saloon
Odometer
Fuel type Petrol
Transmission Manual
Exterior Color Grey
Interior Color Tan
Upholstery Leather
Steering Rhd
VIN B423DZ
A sharp example, very nicely finished in Tudor grey and Shell grey, following major restoration work in the 1990s costing in excess of £50,000. Excellent chrome work complements the high quality paint finish and the interior, of brown leather with very nice, appropriate headlining and carpets, all add up to a particularly good looking, smart car. The underside is good and sound as well, and the car is mechanically in very good order, running well and driving very nicely. Comes with a history file which documents the previously mentioned restoration work. The Bentley is offered serviced, prepared and newly MoT tested.

Chassis No. B423DZ Reg. No. KLE 280

Snippets: Construction, Tanning & the Reverend.
B423DZ was delivered to the civil engineering firm of A. Monk & Co in Warrington; the firm was started in 1920 by Arthur Monk (1893/1960) and during WWII they were involved in building the Mulberry Harbour units and in the construction of a pipeline on the south coast which was used to help with the loading of tank carriers & invasion craft. Arthur Monk, together with members of the McAlpine family visited America to inspect the methods used in opencast mining in order to set up similar operations in the UK to help produce more coal during WWII. After the war Monk became involved in the construction of the English road network from Bristol to Norfolk and Cambridge to Yorkshire – including the A38, A143, A1 & M1. Within a year B423DZ was with the Northern Tanning Co of Liverpool who were amongst the top 20 sole-leather tanneries of England with a weekly capacity of some 1,500 hides. The Northern Tanning Co Ltd were part of the Randall & Porter group of companies whose total weekly capacity was some 7,000 hides with companies based in Ulverston, Warrington, Bootle & Liverpool. One of the company directors was George Randall who in 1908 was Mayor of Liverpool, upon his death in 1927 he left a sum in excess of £100,000 equal to £6,500,000 today! It is not clear how long B423DZ was with the Northern Tanning Co but from 1978 to 1990 the Bentley was with the Rev. Robert Butler Feast (1908/2000) of Witney, Oxfordshire. There were 3 Rev. Feasts serving the Church at the same time – Robert, his older brother Willis (Boston with Brandlston) and their father Mansfield - Rector of St Andrews in Holt – his home of Letheringsett Rectory, according to the Norwich archives, was surrounded by a moat between 1000 & 1500! Robert’s father-in-law was the Reverend Alfred Wheeler of South Hiendley Manor. During his career Reverend Robert Butler Feast was curate at Earlham (1935), St Mary The Less (1938) & Northlew in Devon in 1969.